Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ally's First Day of Fifth Grade


Today, Ally went to her first day of 5th grade and she was so excited. School doesn't start until 8:40 am, and I was only able to hold her off from leaving until 8:15. We only live a block from the school so you know how long she will be standing there waiting.


And of course, Devin had to sit with her too and feel cool.


She has been so excited this whole summer. She had begged and begged for me to request Mr. Z for her, but I couldn't because the school wasn't taking requests this year. So she was beyond thrilled on the last day of school that she was going to be in his class and her 2 best friends would be there with her.

She was devastated to find out a week ago that Mr. Z had passed away, and it was really rough on her for a few days. I am not going to go into the specifics of his death, but it was tragic on so many levels and left a lot of kids wondering what had happened to this man they loved and admired so much. It's definitely a hard conversation to have with your child.

So, this year was hindered and I was worried how it would start for Ally and her class. When we went to back to school night last night, Ally was so excited to see her friends that I don't think it even bothered her. I am hoping the kids will still be so excited and they wont go through a rough patch after the excitement wears off. Luckily, kids are so resilient.

So, it may have started out rocky, but I am hoping for a fabulous year for her!

No comments: