Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Newest Member of Our Church

Today was Ally's baptism... wow, I can't believe that she is old enough to be baptized. I have tons of pictures, but I am just too exhausted to get them on here right now. But I do want to write down the beautiful memories of the day, so i won't forget them.

It has been a really stressful week. I have worried about the food for the open house, cleaning, who would take care of Devin... and I drove myself crazy with the details. Only, I was so wrong.

The baptism was not about the food, the open house, a clean house, babysitters or any other physical thing. It was about Ally and her choice, and I was given a very real reminder of that as soon as we got into the church.

I helped her dress into a baptismal, pure white dress. She was so nervous, she was shaking. I talked to her about what would happen, and then she placed her cold hand in mine and we walked into the room together. She was scared and quiet and leaned against Alex and I for support. The program started, and as soon as my sister said the beautiful opening prayer, everything changed. I could feel Ally relax and the fear seemed to leave. My mom gave the talk on baptism and had Ally laugh with her stories, and then it was suddenly time. Once again I took her small hand in mine and we walked back to the font. Then my amazing, wonderful husband baptized her into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I met her back in the dressing room, and there was not a trace of fear left in her... she was glowing, beautiful, pure... I have seen many baptism's before but I have never gotten to see the child right after. I helped her dress back into the beautiful dress my mom had made for her, I used the blow dryer to warm her frozen hair and lightly brushed the snarls out. I helped her put on her lacey white socks and her shiny, black shoes. It was so different from helping her dress before. The best word to describe it was "beautiful".

We then went into a different room for the confirmation. Her Grandma Hanson gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. How thankful I am for the spiritual giants in her life, the ones that show her what really matters. Then she sat down in a circle and most of the important men in her life laid their hands on her head and gave her the gift of the Holy Ghost. Alex said a beautiful prayer that was directed from Heavenly Father. I felt the Spirit so strongly. Afterwards our amazing Bishop Sanford said a few words, and then we sang "When I am Baptized." I couldn't sing, as I was too choked up. The words are:

I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain.
And ponder on the beauty of the earth made clean again.

I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away,
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.

I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

Then my brother gave an amazing, spiritual closing prayer. It was an amazing feeling to be the mother and experience the joy and power my daughter received today. I was wrong to worry or stress, because that hour was perfect, and no fancy food, sparkling house or perfectly pressed clothes could have topped it.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Tammy you are amazing! Congrats to Ally on her decision! I remember witnessing her blessing! What an amazing experience for her! Thanks for sharing your memories!