Friday, October 5, 2012

What I've Learned

I've learned a lot about myself these past few months. They say that trials make you grow... and I agree with that, but at the same time, if that is true I would rather be really short.

I've learned:

The past, isn't really all that long ago. I've been helping my mom with geneology and able to discover where our roots came from. I found some amazing people on that journey. Strong women and men that left their lives behind and left their country. Women that lost children, men that lost wives... and you know what? I love them, even though I don't know them. I can not tell you how excited I am to one day, after the close of my life, sit down with them and discover everything about them. The past doesn't seem so long ago, when I feel they are with me now.

I've learned that it's not just little kids that need their parents. I feel sorry for everyone else in this world that doesn't have my parents. They are the two most amazing people I have ever known.

I've learned that true and loyal friends don't come around that often. It is truly magical and rare to find friends that will walk by your side throughout your life, cheering you in your triumphs and holding your hand when you hurt.

I've learned that I am stronger then I thought I was.

And along with that, I have learned I am human and I am not perfect.

I've learned that reading The Book of Mormon has a power in it that only comes from one source. In young women's we challenged the girls to read the Book of Mormon in 100 days, before our retreat that is coming up in a few weeks. I took the challenge and I have to confess I don't think I am going to make it by the retreat. But I've noticed a complete change in my life when I started reading it. It's the 15-20 minutes of my day where I feel the most peace and hope... and in the chaos that is my life right now, it is the most beautiful.

I've learned that my children are the greatest gifts I have ever been given. They have taught me how to love fully and completely and how to love unconditionally. They are the reason I wake up every morning and at the same time, the reason I pass out in my bed exhausted every night. They bring laughter and fun as well as love and compassion. They know how to make me smile and see my world in a whole new light. They are my greatest joy.

I've learned not to take the little things for granted. The moments that everything seems good and you think you have everything you ever wanted in life, don't last forever. Life is meant to have it's pitfalls... so I now know to enjoy those amazing moments and save them to pull out again when life gets tough.

I've learned that everyone has free agency. At times I wish I could take it away and make my children walk the right path that leads to happiness and glory... but it's not my choice to make. We were given agency as a gift and we decide which path we will take.

I've learned that the man that I married 12 years ago has courage. I've learned to trust, to love, to heal and to give all because of him. He has taught me that strength is measured in different ways.

But mostly I have learned that I am loved, and I am never alone. I can see it in my mind; my ancestors of the past lined up beside me, my children's small hands in mine, my parents and siblings linked to me, my grandchildren and great grand children of tomorrow all there... it's the circle of forever. The blessing of an eternal family is to never walk alone.

No comments: